My Blog List

Saturday, April 29, 2023

THE TEXAS OLIVE

When we first moved into the house I was chatting with the neighbor and asked him if he knew what the large bushes were between our property. He didn't know the name but he did say they were filled with lovely white blooms during the summer. Little did I know that I was looking at Texas Olive trees. The only other Texas olive I had seen was at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center in Austin where a lone tree grew just outside the auditorium. It was a nicely shaped tree but only ever had a couple of blooms. It succumbed to a hard freeze and was removed. 

My neighbor was right about the flowers. Around April the tree began to bloom with these gorgeous papery white blooms with yellow centers. The plant bloomed constantly through November. 

It isn't hard to see why someone, seeing this tree in bloom, wouldn't immediately fall in love with it, and find a place for one in their garden. We have nine!



Also known as the Anacahuita ( a much better name for this tree growing in the Arizona desert) Cordia boissieri, can be used in the landscape as a tree or as a shrub. Of the nine that the landscaper planted eight were pruned as shrubs and one was left to grow as a tree. Their main purpose was as a screen between the houses. Training as a tree requires careful pruning by hand. As a shrub a power trimmer makes quick work. You can imagine which was chosen by the landscaper. Below are my attempts to train the plants as a tree. You can imagine the pressure that these plants were putting on each other as bushes. 



I am doing a similar pruning to the Texas mountain laurel. Eventually, as they are pruned up I will be able to utilize the filtered shade beneath to add small plants.  
Every time I look at the plantings they did along the edge of the driveway my blood boils. They planted so many different plants giving them no room to breathe. No chance to be themselves. We have already taken out 1 tree and 2 bushes and even now I know there are more that need to be removed. Just to give an example here are 3 trees. The Anachuita, an Anacacho orchid and a photinia all within 4' of each other. 



And on the other side we removed 2 little leaf cordia. It breaks my heart to see them planted this way. This is a well-known landscape company who proudly left their file with information on the plants. I decided I would try to prune the Anacahuita as a tree, taking some pressure off the orchid tree. Brave little soul has bloomed its head off this spring but you can see the horrible growth pattern from constant cutting back. 


 In the end I feel I will only be able to keep the Anacahuita and will have to pull the other two plants. They just don't fit well together. 

despite their beautiful flowering at the hottest time of the year there is a downside to the Anacahuita. It produces a lot of fallen litter, both fruit and leaves which are slow to leave the tree. This is particularly true after a freeze although in the low desert they may behave differently.

It is only now that most of them are free from last years leaves. I find myself going out ever morning and helping them along. The litter isn't all bad because it dries out very quickly and I go around and crunch it up and leave as mulch. The fruit are another thing. They attract the javelina so I find myself collecting them up or cutting them off before they fall. It is a prolific fruiter and every flower seems to produce a fruit. 

Flower buds.

I was told by a local that something can be made of the fruit but it appears to be a long drawn procedure and the result is probably an acquired taste. I will be snip, snip snipping into a bucket all summer.

There is another cordia which was a favorite of the landscaper. The little leaf cordia, Cordia parviflora, I see lots of theses bushes along the roadsides where they are allowed to grow to form an arching bush covered with white flowers. Pruning is not good for them as it results in the branches growing every which way. But the flowers are certainly pretty. It seems my garden is a sea of white with the cords and the bauhinia. 


I am in the process of seeing how well they perform after being cut back to a foot. There is much work to be done. 

6 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever seen these trees or shrubs here, although my Sunset Western Garden Book assures me they'd be fine in our climate - and claims they need little to moderate water. We don't have javelina (thank goodness!) but I fully expect there'd be other critters with an appetite for them. I'd like to find one in any case. I think it's great that you're investing in giving the plants the care they need, and doing the hard work of removing the plants that didn't have the room needed to thrive. I expect landscapers, especially those that focus on new housing, cram in more than they should to provide the instant effect developers look for. Sadly, few buyers are discriminating about the garden when looking for a house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The plant seems to have no critters or diseases. It is just the fallen fruit that they eat. You should give one a try as I think your climate would be good. They do grow very quickly and seem to seed easily. I'm always pulling them out. I saw some beauties down in Tucson yesterday.

      Delete
  2. That is more than frustrating to see a landscape company take pride in such poor work. I think that many landscapers don't really know plants very well. But that is amazing to see such thoughtless work. Clearly they left all the thoughtful work to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m afraid the landscapers may have taken advantage of the original owners requesting additional plants over and above the original required by the developer. I’m not sure I can even put this to rights.

      Delete
  3. Unfortunately, this over-planting is a very common practice. Landscapers provide instant impact for inpatient customers and home owners who don't want to wait. The Texas olive is lovely. Definitely worth the time taken to shape it into small trees.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful flowers and it looks to be a fine shrub/small tree. Your careful and skilled pruning can help them to greater beauty and health.

    My experience agrees with Elaine comment above--the homeowners look at a new planting and say "I hate it! It is too bare and empty!". Most pros actually know better, but they do as the customer demands and over-plant.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.