My Blog List

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

FLORAL FRENZY

 With unseasonably warm temperatures day after day the whole garden wants to be a part of a floral frenzy.


Damianita and mealy blue sage.



Claret cup cactus, Echinocereus trilochidiatus.


Pink poppies.


An unknown yellow iris. This one blooms a little later than the others.


Zepherine drouin in the back corner. The amazing thing about this rose is that it grew from a root that grew through the bottom of a potted cutting growing in this very spot. When I removed the pot I noticed this wiry shoot growing between the limestone path. It grew into this lovely arching rose. No extra water or fertilizer and yet it blooms faithfully every year. It is the same pink as the bush knockout in front of the wall but has one difference. It is extremely fragrant. The mother plant grows in the front courtyard.


Mock orange, Philadelphus coronarius Natchez. My only regret is that I didn't seek out the native one which has a fragrance.

8 comments:

  1. Oh wow Jenny! Just fantastic. I too wish I knew what that iris is, I think my unknown yellow is identical. It is striking though. My mock orange has buds but not open yet. I agree, I wish I had an old one too, mine is like yours. Don't you just love mealy sage? I have it in almost every sun bed now, just love it. I have the tall ones and a dwarf I think called Victoria, it reseeds well and I love its smaller size. Have a great day.... Brooke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'She never knew their names' would be a good epitaph for me. i do like the mealy blue but I find it seeds too much. I am always pulling it out and cutting it back. Right now would be a good time. I might look for a dwarf variety although nothing is dwarf here!

      Delete
  2. A spring frenzy for sure! I love learning the stories of your garden...the rose couldn't be better placed. What conditions is your mock orange growing in? I'm considering one but am concerned there may not be enough sun where I want to put it. Only dappled light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually Cat, it didn't place itself well because there is agate back there and we can never use it. My mock orange is on a wall facing East so it gets morning sun. However many mornings are cloudy. It does have good light though. It is certainly worth a try.

      Delete
  3. I grew the unscented one as well, when I lived in Austin. It was planted as an understory specimen and bloomed very well in dappled sun, growing to a graceful, arching 7-8 ft. I've been wanting one in the garden here, and now you've informed me of the fragrant one, I'll hold out for that. Thanks! Always learn something here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!And down here, some things are just now coming up.
    You even have a rose that just happens to be the right color, just SHOW UP! Even if it is in front of a gate.

    Amazing...!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Breathtaking. I know I would be LIVING outside.....just glorious. Hope you have a great spot for coffee/tea............

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like the mealy blue in it's infancy. It seems to get leggy in parts of my garden. Hard to beat the gray green foliage and light blue blooms. That blue is one of my favorites for sure.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.