My Blog List

Thursday, September 30, 2010

ARE WE HAVING SPRING AGAIN?

We have had rain in September before but I don't recall the plants responding this way.

The blue gilia is in full flower again. A delicate little flower on spindly foliage but it certainly is a tough little plant.

It thrives on nothing but limestone rubble.

The pink oxalis is also blooming again. I was surprised to see it in the upper meadows.

A milkweed hosts two visitors, the monarch caterpillar.

The milkweed assassin bug, Zelus longipes. He's a good guy. Welcome him into the garden to eat aphids and stink bugs.

Desmodium or tick-trefoil is also blooming in the meadow. A welcome plant which, being a legume, will replenish soil nitrogen.
My second sago palm is also putting out a new flush of leaves. I hope they have time to harden off before the cold weather arrives.

6 comments:

  1. It feels like our small areas are responding more dramatically to the Fall rains this year as well. I don't ever think I've seen the native lantanas so dramatically full and I even had a late bluebonnet blooming.

    You suppose this is something to expect with climate disruption creeping in? Perhaps the plants are sensing a warm winter on the way?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again I've discovered a new flower from you, the lovely blue gilia. Is it native?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute little flowers that!


    What a privilege that you see them standing.Today many people look over it.
    Enjoy the little things
    in life,is my motto too!!

    Love Thea from Holland

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I think that bug is a Milkweed Bug (Oncopletus fasciatus), not an assassin bug. Milkweed bugs consume the sap and seeds of milkweeds, so unfortunately they fall into the pest category. I don't know bad they are, though, in terms of longterm health of the plant. Oh how I wish they'd eat aphids instead. The colors and markings of the Milkweed Bug and the Assassin Bug are remarkably similar, though. One definitely should make really sure of the ID before deciding whether to let it stay or get rid of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My garden in Round Rock is confused too. The Redbud and Crab Apple are both in bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Texas Deb- I can only hope the winter won't be as cold as last. It would make life a lot easier. And yes, the lantanas are looking beautiful. Rain and cooler evenings do wonders.
    Iris- Blue gilia is a native. I found it growing near the septic field and moved it to a spot where I could enjoy its pretty blue flowers. It is so hardy for all its delicate structure.
    Thea-It really is a little beauty. I always loved the little scarlet pimpernels when I was a child.
    Meredith- I think you are right about the milkweed bug. They really are similar although I remember I had the assassin bugs last year and they were identified as such. Fortunately it was out on the septic so I don't worry too much about dealing with it.
    Ruth- We are having a crazy fall. What does winter have in store for us, I wonder.
    Morning glories- That isn't good news is it? I wonder how it will affect the spring bloom?

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.