My Blog List

Thursday, September 16, 2010

FOLIAGE FOLLOW UP SEPTEMBER 2010

Pam, at Digging, reminds us that the garden isn't just about the flowers. Without foliage there would be no flowers. Some plants only flower after many years so if we are going to enjoy them in the garden then we must be happy with their leaves. Here are a few of my favorites.

My Agave,Bloodspot. I picked this one up in California last year and grow it in a pot just to be sure of controlling its growing conditions.

This is the Manfreda maculosa. If you see something in common between it and 'blood spot' it is because 'bloodspot' is a likely cross between maculosa and A. macroacantha.

Flowering of pink ruby grass will be late this year. This one plant is a hang over from last year but most of the plants are weeks away from flowering. Their foliage is one of the best of the small grasses remaining green with no additional watering.

Grandfather's pipe, Callisia fragrans, was a passalong from Diana, at Sharingnnature's Garden. It was going great guns in the spring and early summer until a wren decided to build its nest in the pot. It was the largest wren nest I have ever seen and resulted in several branches dying and the plant being stunted. when we came home I moved out the nest, watered the plant and it is now on its way to better health. It hangs on the front gate.

This is something that has never happened before. The sago palm is putting on a new set of leaves. It normally puts out only one ring in the spring. It was late this year and now, after the rain, it is putting out more! Strange year.

A combination of sweet potato vines and ornamental pepper in a pot. I'm nt noted for my pot culture but this one has worked well.

A few graptopetalum survived the winter and are now in a hanging planter in a shady spot. They will come inside for the winter. Austin weather is not to be trusted.

My wonderful Agave desmettiana X variegata. It wouldn't be my garden without them. My treasures.

Agave augustofolia x variegata, will probably have to come in for the winter.

Finally, what color on the lower leaves of the amaranth. A sure sign that fall is on the way. Please!

14 comments:

  1. Your foliage and flowers from yesterday are just gorgeous! Thanks for taking a crack at identifying my "daisies." I think you're right about the Blackfood Daisys (I bought those but ddidn't remember what they we're called).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great foliage shots. Really like the look of the Agave 'Bloodspot'. And a second flush on the sago - sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just coming back to say thanks so much for identifying my pink flower...it is Garardia, Agalinis purpurea. I looked it up online and that's exactly it.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can't have a Texas garden with out yuccas and agaves. And gardens just look better with them in it any way. Pam gave me a couple of little mangaves and they are doing great. I can't wait for them to get big and make a real presense.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Saw both your flowers and your foliage. You've got a lot going on in September. Always so much fun to see your garden.
    The pomegranates are sensational. My wife just begged for one and we've planted a stick that looks similar to a pomegranate tree.
    They do grow fast, I'm told.
    How old is yours?

    David /Tropical Texana :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're not known for your pot culture?! I always admire your potted succulents. But maybe you mean lush, Eastern-style pots? Yeah, I don't really do those either, as they require too much water in our climate. But I do like your pepper and sweet potato vine combo.

    Great foliage selections in your post today. I'm growing many of these, and your photos give me renewed appreciation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the warning about Graptopetalum being tender, Jenny - I bought a small plant this year. And must remember that name Grandfather's Pipe for Diana's Callisia. She passed some along to me, too. Bet it won't live outside in winter, either!

    Annie at the Transplantable Rose

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are all so lovely. I'm taking notes, yet again. You have such splendid plants & such a talented eye for organizing them. The foliage is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a foliage lover! Great shots, all. We had our first half day of air cool enough to leave the air off for a while!!! Yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gale- i just love it when native plants show up in the garden. They love to surprise us.
    RBell- I wonder what other surprises we will be in for. Hope the new leaves harden off before winter sets in.
    Bob- i sometimes toy with the idea of having only cactus and agaves but I just love lots of flowers. I am trying to convert the front to a cactus/agave bed to reduce the work load.
    Tropical Texana- You won't regret growing the pom. It grows quickly. I have one that grew from seed and bore 2 poms this year. I think they fruit on 3 year old wood.
    Pam- I was referring to the Eastern style of pot. Can't keep enough water on the plants even with drip irrigation.
    Annie- The graptopetalum was ok until this last winter. I will leave some outside in the ground and hope for a milder winter.
    Linda- You are too kind- You know I let mother nature do most of the planting. I just have to offer a little control. well, not enough actually.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your garden looks wonderful in both leaf and flower. We were given a store-bought floral arrangement last year which contained graptopetalum that I rooted for the garden. Succulents are really getting mainstream.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never seen the sweet potato vine and the leaves are really nice.
    A great contrast of color.
    I love Agave desmettiana, I want to try in my porch protected of the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful foliage abounds in your garden. Love that agave.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! You've got some really spectacular foliage in your garden. I love seeing all the things I can't grow looking so lovely and impressive.

    And I am totally enamored of all those strange white and blue gray pumpkins and squash; so spooky!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.