My Blog List

Saturday, November 20, 2010

TWIT TWOO WHO WHO!

Listen to the great horned owl, Bubo virginiatus, twit twoo whoo whoo. I heard him this morning, high in the Spanish Oak tree above our bedroom, as a faint light was creeping into the morning sky. He called a few times and then was gone. Off to hunt for his breakfast.
A couple of weeks ago, when I was just getting up, his call was so close to the kitchen I went outside, with camera in hand, and saw him above me on the parapet wall. You can just see the tell tale ears. As the camera flashed he flew off into the woods. Quite a sight.

1 comment:

  1. I love hearing that two whit whoo hoo. A couple of weeks ago we heard two of them, one answering the other. We couldn't figure out where they were, the sound didn't seem to be coming from the direction of the obvious tree.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.