My Blog List

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

AN ENGLISH COTTAGE GARDEN TEXAS STYLE

Many of us have new garden projects planned for the New Year, and the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is no exception. I am delighted that they have decided to build an English cottage garden, using native plants, replacing the present Members' garden.
Here are the plans and more information on this and other projects can be found here. Cottage garden.

I am really looking forward to this project as I like to think of my own garden as having the influence of both English cottage garden and Texas styles. My garden is always in need of tweeking and this will be a good source for planting ideas.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds like an interesting experiment - should be fun to see what works!

    The site mentions sheared yaupon and clipped cenizo as native alternatives for hedge plants. I've seen yaupon look OK when treated like boxwood, but most clipped cenizo looks pretty awful... maybe the Wildflower Center knows a trick or two with that shrub?

    Happy New Year,

    Annie at the Transplantable Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year to you too, Annie. I agree. You can't shear cenizo without ruining the appearance. People do it around us and it ruins the flowering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I look forward to seeing the redesign. It sounds much more interesting than what is already there. And a new members garden by the cafe sounds great too.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.