My Blog List

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

GOODNESS GRACIOUS!

Just when I was beginning to think we weren't going to have any bluebonnets this year, we have 3" of rain in one week and kaboom! Hundreds of bluebonnet seedlings germinate. A little relocation may be necessary.

In fact, I had moved a few seedlings the day before and yesterday when I checked them out, this. What on earth has been munching the leaf.

I dug around in the soil and this is what I found.

I thought they were my friends. Two years ago the decollate snail started to show up. Like all snails the numbers of this snail have increased as the numbers of the small round snails, pill bugs and slugs has declined. I am very happy about that but is there so little for them to eat that they are now becoming vegetarian. I may have to reduce their population.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry about your bluebonnets bitten.
    Here, we also have snails and slugs ... I tasted this year Diatoms against these pests, I hope to work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool post. I'd never heard of decollate snails.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.