My Blog List

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

PINK PROFUSION

It is the moment in the gardening year I look forward to with great anticipation.. The brief moment in time when the lace cactus, Echinocereus reichenbachii, flowers. Never in all the years have so many flowers opened at the same time.

There have been occasions in the past when I missed the flowering because this clump is growing outside the walls in the granite area that was once a parking area. Yesterday, however, as I drove in down the driveway it was impossible to miss the mass of pink. I rushed into the house and grabbed the camera.

14 comments:

  1. I always love a cactus flower.....they don't look real and odd a moment of color splash in the garden. Love the color!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes a hard winter will increase stress on plants. Stressed plants in turn we create more fruit (flowers) to reproduce and survive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That color could cause an accident!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's gorgeous! Should have gone to the Cactus Show this year for lace cactus and claret cup.

    ReplyDelete
  5. soooo lovely! great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic! Do cactus flowers have fragrance? What pollinators do they attract?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful - such vibrant intense colors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you everyone who also enjoyed the lace cactus in flower. Alan- yes there was a fragrance and I bend down to check that it was coming from the flowers. It was. Unfortunately I haven't watched for long enough to see which pollinators are attracted to the flower. They are closed today so whomever comes must be quick about it. I do know that beetles are attracted to the yellow flowers on the prickly pear cactus.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.