My Blog List

Monday, September 19, 2011

THE SAD TALE OF THE POMEGRANATE TREE

Someone has been having a feast on my pomegranates.


These fruits are sitting right on the wall, which makes for a great platform for working away at the tough leathery skin on the pomegranate fruit.


You can see what it takes to get in there. The Romans used to tan the fruit skins and use them for leather projects.


Now for the bad news. For a couple of years the tree has been in a decline. I first noticed the bark starting to peel and knew it was not a good sign. I hunted for information on this, even contacting a pomegranate grower but couldn't find anything out. Progressively, branches began to die.


And yet, the tree surprises by producing yet another crop to delight the breakfast table yet again. I now think I know what happened. I have always marveled about how this tree grows in rubbishy lime rubble but that wasn't the problem. About three years ago we had a very wet summer and the water in the garden drains away right below the pomegranate. I think too much water was the problem. And so this year we will remove the tree. I will be planting a new tree in the vegetable garden. I just hope I can find one that will produce as well as this one has.

6 comments:

  1. Oh..that is sad, that you're losing your beloved pomegranate.
    It's been good to you.
    I hope you can find another as good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sad that you have to remove the tree! I know how it is to lose trees. It looks like it has such an good amount of fruit on it too.
    I hope you can find some uneaten pomegranates to have your farewell feast with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry you will be losing this tree, but it is good that you discovered the problem. I bet the new tree will fit right into the veggie garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, that's too bad. I love pomegranate trees, especially their flowers. I've often seen hummingbirds drinking from my dwarf bush. I hope your new tree fares better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That IS a sad tale. I've heard that when fruit trees are stressed or dying, they produce a good crop in an attempt to propagate, so maybe this is the tree's way of saying goodbye. I hope you find a new tree that gives you years of pleasure rather than worry - and plenty of pomegranates, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That "someone" who is pecking away at your pomegranates is likely a family of mockingbirds, who I'd like to see baked in a pie than remain the Texas state bird! PS The Romans didn't tan the skins of the fruit, but rather they and most pomegranate producers in antiquity used the skins as a source of tannic acid to tan leather with.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.