My Blog List

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

PEA AND POTATO EXTRAVAGANZA

The pea harvest has been outstanding this year. So much so that I have had to find new ways to use them. I made pea and potato soup on Monday and tonight I served it cold with a dash of cream and a sprinkling of garden chives. After all it is still 80° outside.


I don't think we will be sitting here tomorrow evening. A strong cold front is coming through tonight and will give us record low temperatures. It has been such a roller coaster ride this year that I don't really care any more.
So, tonight we are eating dinner in the front garden again much to the annoyance of the humming bird who keeps swooping in and then out.


I picked some potatoes. They are so good I think I may opt to fill my beds with potatoes next year. Of course the vegetable of the night is peas of the Cascadia variety and rack of lamb with a garlic and rosemary marinade. I feel like I am on vacation.

13 comments:

  1. It looks like you're on vacation ... simply lovely.
    Can you believe this weather!? I'm wondering if I need to pull my new succulents into the garage? I heard a possible low of 29 in LLano! Geez

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful garden and a lovely meal...from your very own garden. Yes, I'd say you are on vacation. Hope the cold doesn't do something crazy. We don't want a record freeze to boot. Ugh!
    David/:0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW... double wow!
    vera
    il ghepardo blog at wordpress

    ReplyDelete
  4. Living the good life---it all looks wonderful-the garden, the food, ...enjoy!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh ya'll are living large!
    looks really nice. isn't the weather strange this spring? But I'm not fussing about it-it will be 100 degrees soon enough. Have a great weekend! Carol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man, everyone I know who's tried growing their own potatoes has raved. I am gonna have to find a way to sneak a potato bed into my side yard next year! And that last picture looks like something from a posh hotel. Great food and view, and you don't even have to leave home!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I'm so jealous of the peas! You just can't get fresh peas in Spain. I can't wait to try growing them myself. I'll be happy if I do half as well as you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. New potatoes are like eating filets.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fresh peas and garden potatoes are the best! I'll be harvesting potatoes this weekend. Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to see your crop. Had one of your eggs for breakfast. It was the best.

      Delete
  10. YUM. I think I messed up my potatoes. I planted them in wire cages this year and grew them in hay. Seems like they're all mush. arg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear that. I am surprised I got any as the ground was so dry. I think they would have liked a little more moisture. I may try 5gallon buckets next year with compost.

      Delete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.