My Blog List

Sunday, March 17, 2019

EARLY SPRING BLOOMS

Our mild winter has been kind to many of my flowering blooms, although I have to admit I did protect the freesias during some recent nights when the temperatures fell in to the 20s. The same with some of the iris because they were in bud.


The purple iris were a passalong and came without a name which is often the case in my garden. The pretty little narcissus alongside this clump is also without a name, much to my regret.



Another passalong iris, known only as Peach, lives up to its name. It smells of peaches.


The naturalizing species tulips, or lady tulips, Tulipa clusiana, have not disappointed this year. Some years ago I read that the seed were not viable and I would pick off the seed heads after flowering. Then I discovered that the seed pots were attractive in themselves and allowed the seed to fall. Now there are many new plants forming.

Tulipa clusiana Lady Jane

Tulipa clusiana, Lady Jane with petals closed
Tulipa clusiana var. chrysantha, has yellow petals with red markings on the underside.



The species tulips, Tulipa humilis, Persian pearl was planted several years ago. It bloomed the first year and then nothing for 2 years. Now once again it is going to bloom. This is one of the shortest stemmed tulips, just a few inches tall.


I took the upper photo this morning and this one when the petals opened up when the sun came out.



All these tulips are perfect for the rock garden where they will receive good drainage.

The freesias have been magnificent, whether in pot or in the ground. They did receive addition protection from freezes but worth every cover I brought in and out.


And the same with pots of anemones.



I just wish they would all last just a little longer.

9 comments:

  1. All are wonderful, Jenny. I was so entranced with the 'Lady Jane' tulips I saw in one of your posts last year that I made a point of looking for them last fall. Alas, perhaps I waited too long to check on them as nothing was available from the mail order bulb suppliers I checked. My own Freesias are withering in the face of a spot of very dry, warm weather but they've been plentiful up to this point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are fortunate they carry them at our nursery although they naturalize very well increasing the size of the clumps. Your conditions should be just perfect.

      Delete
  2. The word that always comes to mind with your garden is EXUBERANT! Everything you've shown here is beautiful, and I'm sure the garden as a whole is as magnificent as ever...regards to you both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope things are gong well with the family. I know you are out in your garden every day as I am although we had family for 5 days so nothing done. Now catch up before a tour next Monday.

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous, Jenny. I grew some of those tulips for a while. In time, they disappeared, but I enjoyed them while they lasted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had these for years- especially the Lady Jane. They would look really pretty in your garden although they are not native to Texas.

      Delete
  4. your plants all look so healthy, particularly the irises. my own, albeit it from sunny Cape Town, South Africa, all have brown tips and pale leaves. do you foilar feed your bulbs and the irises in particular, regularly?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never feed the iris or the bulbs. I cut the iris leaves to a fan shape in the fall. All the new leaves come in the spring. I probably should feed the bulbs some bone meal but they seem to manage OK. But we are all envious of the incredible native flora of SA. I hope the see the wildflowers bloom on the Cape some day soon.

      Delete
  5. WOW, what beauties you have growing in your gardens. Ones that I cannot grow here. Thanks for sharing ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.