My Blog List

Monday, March 4, 2019

WHEN BULBS GO BLIND

Each Spring I look forward to seeing those first green shoots poking up through the bare soil. By the time they have reached this size I am looking for the flower buds appearing at the base.


Soon there will be a host of golden daffodils-or not it seems for this clump, once again, this year. That is because I have been promising myself for several years to divide the ever enlarging clump which have now, in horticultural terms, gone blind. Only 7 blooms this year and all that foliage. They were planted at least ten years ago and have never been divided.


But when to divide is the question I had to ask myself. Many gardeners believe in dividing once the foliage has died down and the bulbs have finished their growing cycle. But if I do that those bulbs are not going to grow any larger this year and I will only get the same number of flowers next year. The cycle will take two years for the bulbs to fill out and bloom again. Hence my decision to move them while they are 'in the green'. It is so much easier to do because there will be no risk of damaging the bulbs.


The ground being rather dry it was easy to dig them up. Not as deep rooted as I expected but easy to see why I only got a few flowers this year. Most of the bulbs were not big enough to flower. I am hoping to remedy that by replanting while they still have time to increase their size this season. They will get a good feeding at the same time.
Bulbs may go blind for several reasons. Overcrowding, planting too shallowly and not enough sun are the main reasons. There4 is no guarantee that once a bulb has gone blind it will grow big enough to flower again but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that next year I will see a host of golden daffodils.
And there is more work to be done as I have several clumps in need of dividing.


12 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard that term "go blind" before. Mine are most always that way - scillas, sparaxis and leucojums. I think I'll try you suggested remedies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's keep or fingers crossed that it was do the trick.

      Delete
  2. I think you have a magic touch in the garden, Jenny, so I'm certain your bulbs with both flower and thrive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This surprises me somewhat, as I've seen fields of daffodils that I know have never been divided, and still bloom like crazy! Is this climate related?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting you should say that Alan as I wondered about those fields. Maybe my problem is that I planted them too high in the ground. It is hard for me to dig down more than few inches so I am lazy about getting them far enough down. It may also be variety and the old type daffodils do not have this problem whereas the new cultivars do.

      Delete
  4. Good to know, Jenny. I knew about dividing bulbs, but hadn't heard the term "go blind" before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have seen you dividing yours 'in the green' I am hoping it works for me.

      Delete
  5. This is a new term to me and I'm glad to be aware of this happening with daffodils. I usually divide irises but I've never divided my daffodils.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if some varieties are more susceptible to going blind. I did have some that went blind under a tree-too dry. After I removed the tree they started flowering again.

      Delete
  6. Interesting. Didn't know all this. I admire the depth of your knowledge. It shows in the beauty and sophistication of your garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too kind but thank you. I find that I pick up quite a lot of useful things from listening to podcasts and reading magazines.

      Delete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.