My Blog List

Tuesday, September 17, 2019

MY LOVE AFFAIR WITH AGAVES

Texas is about to tuck another horrible summer under its belt. Undoubtedly the number will climb but as of yesterday we have had 51 triple digit days. I wish someone had kept a total of the 99s as well, because I am sure we have had plenty of those. But it is the lack of rainfall that has compounded its detrimental effect on many of our plants. But not the agaves.


It is the first time in a month that I walked out to look at how the front of the house had fared during the summer. This area is without irrigation so I was really pleased to see it looking so good. Those Agave weberi are truly the mainstay of my garden. I love the way they just push up under the rocks. I could never place them so well.
This is the very spot where David took down the dead live oak this year and I find I don't miss it at all. I will admit that David did work on removing the oaks sprouts that had come up over the summer. Probably a life long task.


I transplanted a few liatris corms out there last fall and there is a rather spindly Pride of Barbados which might now benefit from having a little more sun.


And plenty of Lindheimer senna has seeded in the dry creek. The larger area of decomposed granite is dotted with native lantana, a couple of Texas sage, some gopher plants, and once again this year two plains zinnias, Zinnia grandiflora.


There is also a small clump of Agave lophantha. 


Spring will bring bluebonnets to this area, as well as Mexican hats and a sprinkling of blanket flowers. But for now the Agaves hold the fort.

8 comments:

  1. I believe the Webers are my favorite agaves - simple & elegant, plus that color!...the garden looks lovely and amazingly lush after such a brutal summer...Glad you were able to get outside and enjoy it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your agaves look perfect among the rocks! Nothing can faze them--neither the agaves nor the rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Gerhard, Jenny. The rocks and agaves combine beautifully, and the lacier flowering plants add just the right touch of softness. I hope you get a long cool break in the weather soon. We lucked out here this year, although October's weather is usually prone to sharp fluctuations before we really settle into fall in November.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does look fabulous! I love Agaves, too, and I'd have lots of them if I lived in your climate/locale. Some folks successfully grow cold-hardy Agaves (A. parryi, A. havardiana) around here, but they perform best in the sandy soils just north of us. We are warmer than "normal" here in S. Wisconsin, too, but that means highs in the 80s, which I find quite pleasant. I hope you'll have some relief from the heat soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my (many) favorite parts of your garden!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny how Mother Nature knows just where to put plants for them to look great. Love the wildish nature of this area. Hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so delightful. So appreciative of having seen it in person! Glad you are up and about.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another vote for rocks and Agaves! Your garden looks wonderful despite a tough summer.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.