My Blog List

Friday, March 27, 2020

A FIRST EVERY DAY

You walk around the garden and spot the first bloom on the ....... I'm sure you could easily fill in the blank. Surely every gardener shares this experience. And spring is the time when every day seems to bring that 'first flower' experience.
Here are some of my first flower experiences this week and most of them natives.

First I saw the bud then overnight a flower on the Ladyfinger cactus, Echinocereus pentalophus. These flowers last for at least 3 days and usually arrive in succession.


The blue gilia,  Giliastrum rigidulum. More commonly found in west Texas but I found one small patch growing on my lot and was successful in moving it to a place where I can see it and enjoy its beauty. It is almost at eye level so cannot be missed. It usually opens in the afternoon. Do you see the weevil? Not the dreaded agave weevil though.


Blue-eyed grass, Sisyrinchium angustifolium, seeds among the gravel and between the pavers. As does the Engelmanns daisy which has seeded alongside.



the pink evening primrose, Oenothera speciosa. Oh! Yes, it will run wild but that' fine. A quick pull here and there will keep it under control.


Baby blue-eyes, Nemophila phacelioides. I only have a little patch of shade and that's where they grow.

Everyone else may be able to grow the spiderwort, Tradescantia sp with ease. For me it is a rare event.



What's that I see through the shower window? It's the first blooms of the Anacacho orchid tree, Bauhinea lunarioides.




And the cross vine, Bignonia capreolata. has found tis way 20' from the mother plant.


And I have a mental block on what this plant is called. Help me out will you, please? Update. Thanks to Lyn for the id of Pavonia lasiopetala if I remember the species name correctly.


And wood sorrel, Oxalis.sp. For some it is a weed, for me I am happy to have just a few flowers in this shady corner.


Oh! How I love that morning, spring-time stroll around the garden. There will be more tomorrow, I'm sure.

12 comments:

  1. so glad you are able to be out enjoying your garden, not to mention sharing it with lucky us! perhaps I will eventually have something to share in return, IF we ever dig ourselves out from the oak leaf piles!!!! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Echinocereus flower is stunning! This is usually my favorite time of year for the very reason you've identified. That joy is tempered this year but gardening provides the best refuge from current events bar none.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe Pavonia? Pavonia has Tata is a tough little plant here in subtropical. Brisbane , Australia. So glad to see back blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe Pavonia? Pavonia has Tata is a tough little plant here in subtropical. Brisbane , Australia. So glad to see back blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe Pavonia? Pavonia has Tata is a tough little plant here in subtropical. Brisbane , Australia. So glad to see back blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have enjoyed your posts for several years now, and have always learned so much on plants you don’t always see often around town. The Anacacho is one of my favorite trees and all your new blooms are spectacular. Thank you so much for continuing to share, we appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. so much fun to explore and see the garden return to life. Love the look of the bignonia on the wall. Have always wanted a stone wall but would look funny in a prairie garden. Stay healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have a plethora of beautiful spring blooms. I especially love the blue-eyed grass.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing your beautiful garden views. The first bloom is always the best, but I do enjoy the others equally! Every one is a surprise waiting to happen!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely! Thanks for sharing a walk around your garden and all the "firsts".

    ReplyDelete
  11. That shower view to the Anacacho Orchid Tree...yes! I have a similar opportunity out my bedroom windows, maybe with the same species...

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.