My Blog List

Sunday, March 15, 2020

WORTH THE WAIT

There are lots of plants whose flowers are ephemeral. I'm thinking of the flowers on my cactus which bloom for just one day. I wouldn't give up that moment for anything. And then there are flowers that give us a few more days to enjoy their beauty. Among these are the Spring flowering daffodils, grape hyacinths and tulips. Even those few days of flowering are worth the year-long wait.
Living in the south we enjoy a good selection of spring bulbs that come back year after year but when it comes to longevity only the species tulips do well in the southern garden.


Tulipa clusiana Lady Jane, returns year after year if given the right conditions. Fast draining, poor soil. If it finds a happy place it will spread over the years producing nice clump of flowers to brighten the early spring garden. When the flowers close at night they show off their pink underbelly.


One of the reasons I like the clusiana tulips is because they have elegant seed heads which I look attractive even after they have dried. I scatter the seeds in different places. The leaves die back at about the same time as the seed heads.

Another member of the clusiana family is Tulipa clusiana 'Tinka" Lemony yellow when fully opened with pink underbelly when closed.



Planted in 2016 the package was labeled  Tulips humilis 'Persian Pearl' but I learn that one has a yellow center. It is more likely to be Tulipa humilis 'Little beauty' which has a bluish center. Either way the plant is a beauty and perfect for rock gardens as the flowers only stand about 4" tall.



On this rainy the petals are closed up. I am thrilled to see more blooms this year. One year there were no blooms, the plants lying dormant under the gravel until they got just the right conditions.


Originating in the hills of Turkey, these tulips were brought to Europe in the mid 1500s. There they were bred to be the tulips we find today. For us in the south those tulips must be planted every year. These tulips can be left in the ground. They love the baking heat because that is the conditions under which they grew in the wild. So much easy to care for, forget and then enjoy every spring.
Look for these bulbs in the fall when they arrive at the nurseries or order them on line. And remember to plant in fast draining soils to prevent rot.

19 comments:

  1. It surprises other gardeners when I tell them I am not a fan of tulips. Maybe that's why my daughter's favorite flowers are tulips! But, I could really get into those Tulipa clusiana! Amazing! The color of those Lady Janes is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not a great fan of the big tulips either. To me they belong in public gardens. But these species tulips are different. I am so glad they are still available even after all those years of breeding.

      Delete
  2. All are so beautiful. Have you tried 'Maureen'? It did well for me in Alabama and that was a difficult place for tulips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked on Maureen and unless I am mistaken it is not a species tulip. I like the species tulips because they just stay in the ground year round and naturalize too.

      Delete
  3. What a lovely collection of Tulips.Happy blooms day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your tulips are all so beautiful! Thank you for brightening the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed them. Happy spring to you.

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous tulips - am inspired to plant these for next spring - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are beautiful. Olese look for them in the fall but remember the good drainage.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you Misti. I love them when they are open and when they are closed but also when I see them suddenly poking their leaves through the ground in late winter.

      Delete
  7. They look glorious, Jenny. I hope my 'Lady Jane' (and her sister 'Cynthia) tulips spread and thrive as well as yours have. We don't get as much winter chill as you do, though, which may present a problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure winter chill is necessary. We had a very mild winter and yet there seem more than ever this year.

      Delete
  8. Tulips do not come back much here but I have been thinking of trying species tulips which are supposed to come back year after year. All of your gorgeous tulip photos give me a little push to do so maybe next year.
    -Ray

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they do. I have had some of these in the ground for more than 15 years. It's just getting the drainage right that is the secret. Do try them.

      Delete
  9. I have never seen these before. Do you have them planted in pea gravel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mix of decomposed granite and pea gravel. No irrigation.

      Delete
  10. Thanks to your recommendation a few years ago, I got these, put them in the right place in my yard in San Antonio and they are starting to bloom agin this spring and even multiply. Despite my efforts though, I haven't had any luck starting them from seeds.
    By the way, with wildflower season underway in Texas, do you have a favorite wildflower identification book you'd recommend?

    ReplyDelete