My Blog List

Sunday, June 14, 2020

EARLY ONE MORNING , JUST AS THE SUN WAS RISING

When I went out into the garden this morning I couldn't help but think of an old English folk song which begins  "Early one morning, just as the sun was rising" I learnt this song when I was very young and have come to learn that it was one of the most popular songs for young women in service to sing in the 18th century. The maids were mourning their lovers who were going off to war.There was no maid singing in the valley below but there was a song in my heart over the beauty of the morning.

Surely for every gardener this is the best time of the day.  The cool morning air, plants recovered from the prior day's heat, everything looking its best. Ready to face another hot Texas day.



I always go first to look at the sunken garden because the sun will make its first appearance here and with no shade it gets hot very quickly. It is amazing how differently the sun strikes the garden in the summer.


In winter the sun rises well to the left of the potting shed but now it is coming up over the greenhouse. The gap in the trees means that it eneter the garden just than bit sooner.


Soon it will flood the patio giving the cactus and succulents a few hours of sun which they seem to prefer.




Up the steps into the English Garden and a quick look back over my shoulder.. The sun is coming up over the trees.



 On summer mornings we can no longer eat breakfast on the dining patio. It was one of the reasons we created a patio dining area in the English garden where the high wall shades the garden until about 9am. As this was one of the last gardens we made it gave us the opportunity to watch the sun at various times of the year and help with the design of what we wanted from the garden. We shall be having breakfast here this morning and every morning as long as it is not raining.



It is a very green and serene area, looking towards the house, with just a few blooms of the Mandevilla vine which survived our mild winter. In the other corner the plumeria which spent the winter bare root in the garage. Flower buds are just beginning to develop.


 Of course having created a theme with the sun and moon archway I can't really complain about the sun. Time to get breakfast on the table.

8 comments:

  1. That's a beautiful way to start the day, Jenny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those bats hanging upside down! And I love that you grew into your space, and know intimately the sun's path over your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I'm looking forward to some sunny mornings here, toward the end of the week...finally!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Jenny, though my climate as not as relentlessly hot as yours I am right there with you on the soul nourishing attributes of very early mornings in the garden. There is nothing better in summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favourite part of summer is early mornings sitting in the sun surrounded by flowers and bird song. Makes the 6 months of winter worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, your place is so lovely and interesting and the morning sunlight makes it feel magical.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jenny, it's been a while since I've stopped by, and I must say that your garden is looking spectacular in spite of the heat. I have an important birthday coming in the fall, and my intention is to start a gravel garden similar to yours. You are quite an inspiration, and I can only hope to do half as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must have done something wrong - the previous message is from me: Karen @ ladyoflamancha

      Delete