My Blog List

Wednesday, September 2, 2020

SOMETIMES THE NATIVES ARE TOO FRIENDLY

You know how plants can suddenly become a nuisance and just won't go away. I'm talking about a few Texas native plants that I have unwittingly allowed into my garden. First on the list is the American beautyberry, Callicarpa americana. 15 years ago I planted one outside the walls of the garden under the oak trees. Right plant right place.





Shortly thereafter one appeared in the front courtyard along the back wall. I was really excited. There it remained for several years until even pruning it back each year just didn't seem to control it enough. I got out the pick axe and took it out. It was not the end of it. 

 

Who doesn't love those clumps of berries that begin their life as a tiny unobtrusive flowers, morphing into tightly grouped bunches of delicious looking berries. If only we could eat them. I haven't tried but by all accounts they are quite medicinal in taste. But......delicious to many birds including the mocking bird. And therein lay my problem. Just inside the garden wall and towards the front grew, and I use the past tense, a fabulous Lady Banks rose. Its gorgeous blooms enchanted us every spring.  It was a haven for birds who found great shelter in the branches, which grow at peculiar angles making a dense tangle. And every winter as long as I can remember a mocking bird has found a home in there. It can't possibly be the same bird but somehow or other one bird will find a winter roost there. No doubt he saw great pickings in my garden because not only were there beauty berries but a yaupon ( another seeded tree) had grown up right by our living room window and providing a plentiful supply of winter berries. Last winter that bird tried our patience to the extreme. It would land on the tree and see his reflection in the window and promptly fly at the window, landing and pooping on the window ledge. We tried hanging old DVDs along the window but nothing would discourage the bird from throwing himself at the window several times a day. Not only that but when visitors were leaving at night it would suddenly begin a frightening squawking sound. 

It was a difficult thing to do but 3 weeks ago David began the painstaking job of removing the rose. The decision was made easier by the fact that since we had the terrible hailstorm 4 years ago the tree had had a difficult time recovering. There was so much dead wood underneath which had been supporting the new growth that the decision was made to remove it. It is sad that the birds would no longer find safety in the branches but I will not be unhappy if we don't get a mocking bird this winter. 

With the rose spout of the way I could get into the garden and begin clearing all the beautyberry bushes that had been seeded over the last couple of years. I didn't want to risk any of those berries falling to the ground.


Here's another good planting at the Wildflower Center. Planted under large trees is the perfect spot. 

The job isn't finished yet. I need to get the roots out and that is going to take another morning with the pick axe. At the same time I have at least 6 Texas mountain laurels to remove. Yes, there's another plant that does a little too much of its own planting.

12 comments:

  1. Interesting. I've had a huge American beautyberry growing in a corner for years, and have never found any seedlings growing anywhere around. Also odd that the birds don't seem interested in the berries on mine. I picked a lot of them yesterday and started making jelly, but the infusion smelled and tasted so odd---kind of smokey, or dirty---that I gave up and tossed it all. (Maybe that's why the birds don't eat them.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only the mockingbird seems interested and there is the possibility they have to pass through his gut in order to seed.

      Delete
  2. Native plants do like to have their own way. It is too bad about the rose. We have a mockingbird that winters here too. Luckily he/she roosts some place away from our front door and doesn't cause problems. Maybe your wintering Mockingbird will find a more suitable place this year and be more entertainment than nuisance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We call him the policeman of the bird world because he refuses to let any other birds have the berries. It is sad when the cedar waxwings arrive because they are really scared of him

      Delete
  3. I've never seen this plant before. It doesn't even have a name on my language. I guess I'll have to try and buy one somewhere. A crazy growing stubborn plant with purple berries (I love purple) is just the thing my garden needs. šŸ˜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is native to Texas so maybe really likes the difficult conditions here.

      Delete
  4. So many native plants really are too aggressive for our gardens. Had a similar tale with fireweed. It's too bad as the beautyberry's are such an unusual colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am allowing the ones under the trees to stay and possibly one of two inside the walls until they grow too big.

      Delete
  5. I guess my "garden" is different from most. I plant for the wildlife/insects/anoles, etc. using natives. So far, things seem in balance. I do love the way you use the rocks around your plants/flowers. I am in the process of doing that and hopefully will help keep the roots moist. Love your website. Very informative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have mostly natives too and love the wildlife in the garden. But we have several acres which are wild outside the walls where deer turkey, skunks, raccoons, bob cats, armadillos roam freely. I keep the deer out of the walled gardens but there are plenty of lizards, snakes birds etc that come by.

      Delete
  6. I'm sad to hear of the loss of your 'Lady Bank's' rose, although I'm sure you'll find something else wonderful to plant in that spot. I tend to forget about the role birds can play in planting a garden. Callicarpa is something I always admire when I see it in photos but I've never seen anything in that genus offered here. Maybe that's a good thing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still thinking Kris. I sit back and look at the area and nothing is coming to mind yet. Whatever it is it will be something smallish.

      Delete