My Blog List

Thursday, May 10, 2012

WILDLIFE COMES OUT OF THE WOODS

So far this week I have seen deer, turkeys and this morning a fox. The cooler weather has brought them out during the day. I was in the bathroom when he walked by the window. He stopped, turned around and waited. I was sure he was waiting for his mate.


Five minutes later, giving me time to get the camera and remove the screen, he turned around in a circle and settled himself down for a fox nap. No doubt one eye open and ears still pricked.


I had to leave before he did so have no idea if his mate showed up. I am happy to see the foxes survived last summer as I really like them. It was such fun to have them move into the garden several years ago. My 2G grandfather would not be amused. He was huntsman to the Badsworth Hunt. A 'crack' rider by all accounts. Fox hunting caused his death at the age of 40.

10 comments:

  1. I love seeing foxes too, as they're so rare here. I've had one up-close early morning encounter (a bit scary) and one time I thought a sick and mangy one chose my yard to die in -- but it left after a few hours. That was a sad-looking fox for sure!

    Yours though: beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just beautiful. Even though we live in the city, there is a family of foxes in our neighborhood. Every once in a while we see one crossing the street at night, never during the day. A few years back, we had an albino fox in the 'hood. That was always fun to spot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a beautiful animal! And good parents. I love foxes. So glad you hunt only with your camera. Thanks so much for this rare treat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful animal--you're fortunate to have them around your place. I was traveling to Corpus Christi recently and a beautiful grey fox darted in front of my car on I37--he hesitated, then ran into the median between the N/S artery. Had there been a car in the left lane, he would have been hit. I hope he made it to safety.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Foxes - so cool. Even though I live 'in the city' we routinely have problems with coyotes...specifically them eating cats, but it does keep the feral cat population in check...

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's so cool.
    I know we have them around here. We've seen them a couple times, just as it was getting dark...too dark to see what kind they are. Never in daylight, though.
    It's fun to have all the wildlife around.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like your habitat is just as soothing for foxes as it is humans! That first shot is such a cool contrast...giant, stately agave vs. small, curious fox.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool! I've seen a fox here once. One morning this week, a female turkey walked right across my lawn - the first we've seen here. She also allowed me to take a photo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you have any photos of you Great Grandfather...in his riding attire? Lucky you to have that close up view from your window. I could feel the warmth of the rock too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the fox photos. There's just something about having "life" in the garden.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.