My Blog List

Monday, April 29, 2019

HERE THERE AND EVERYWHERE

If ever there was a freely seeding flower that I welcome with open arms in my garden it is that of  Love-in-a-mist, Nigella damascena. Who wouldn't be won over by such a lovely flower and if not that a charming name.


Since introducing this flower many years ago it has found its way into every one of my gardens and every nook and cranny. And it comes, not only in blue, but in many shades from white through pink to blue and purple. Don't even try to control which color grows in which place. It is always a surprise when the flower buds open.
I think it found a perfect home in among the stems of this clump of narcissus where its feathery foliage will hide the yellowing stems.


There are some places where there are only white ones but the predominant color is blue.


Here it is all about pink.





I love the ones that seed along the walls. It is a dry spot so they don't get very big.


And the strange this is that there can several colors of flower on the same plant.


I once heard one of the panel on Gardener's Question Time remark on how well this does in the rock garden. I agree. The poor dry soil means it grows only a few inches tall. Seen here with my artichoke agave, A. Parryi truncate.


And when flowering is over the seed heads also are a delight. Just make sure you capture this seeds before they find their way into every nook and cranny in your garden.

5 comments:

  1. Don't know if you saw mine in the front garden, but it's never been anything but white. I'd love to see it in that bright blue you have. So beautiiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never realized what a range of colors Nigella has. I'm currently waiting for those I planted from seed in my cutting garden to bloom - only the yellow N. orientalis 'Transformer' has bloomed thus far. While the idea of having them spread into every nook and cranny is somewhat appealing, I think I'll heed your warning and pull them before the seedpods burst.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got a good chuckle with how vigorous and promiscuous Nigella is in your garden. I have tried so hard to get it to grow in my garden which it defiantly declines to do. You must have the magic touch! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's lovely in your garden...All its many colors look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.