My Blog List

Thursday, April 4, 2019

THE LADY IS BACK

Shortly after we moved into the house in 2001 I planted a rose on the corner of the wall in the front garden. I don't recall whether I did any research back then. Probably not, because the rose I bought I knew nothing about when in 2007 a gentleman, who was visiting the garden, shared with me a little about its history. In fact he sent me copies of a story that was in National Geographic magazine about  the man who was responsible for bringing  the rose from China and after whose wife the rose was named.


That rose was the Lady Banks rose, Rosa banksiae. Named for the wife of Sir Joseph Banks, who as director of Kew Gardens was responsible for bringing many plants back from his own travels, but also sponsoring the plant gathering expedition of William Kerr who brought back the rose from China.


The yellow form of the rose, R. banksiae var. lutea, bears clusters of small yellow flowers on thornless stems in early Spring. It is a one time bloomer and a big rose as you can see from the photograph. Underneath my rose is a tangled of dead branches which support the top growth.


The rose has scrambled over the wall to the outside and even up into an oak tree across the path.


I have a clear view of the yellow rose from where I sit in the living room. More often the not a  mockingbird spends the winter in the rose and on cold nights when visitors are leaving there is a shriek of surprise form him. Similarly, at this time of the year a mocking bird also takes up residence-is it the same one I wonder? Every morning he flies towards this window lands on the ledge and pecks away at his reflection. Then he flies into the yaupon holly, picks off a few berries and flies back into the rose. Wrens and cardinals also favor the tree too but it is always the mockingbird high up on the top lording over his demesne.


The original Lady Banks rose brought back by Kerr was white, R. banksiae var. banksiae and a few years ago I bought a rooted cutting of the white rose from the Rose Museum in Tombstone, Arizona. Mindful of the size of the rose in Tombstone, which is supported by a trellis and covers 2,800 sq ft. I planted it at the back of the garden and am making more of an effort to keep it tamed, pruning after it flowers in the Spring. You can read all about my visit to Tombstone here. My white rose has a great provenance.


Unfortunately we were passing though Tombstone in January so did not see the rose blooming. Maybe one day. While our bloom is not quite as spectacular this year due to the earlier buds being subjected to temperatures in the 20s she is putting on a pretty darned good show. When her bloom finishes her leaves provide a little shade to a small part of a very sunny garden.

7 comments:

  1. The yellow Banksiae may be my favorite rose. I tried growing it in my former garden but there wasn't nearly enough sun there. I'm not sure where I'd put it in my current garden and then it's perhaps not prudent to plant another rose here when water is a problem more years than not. My mother-in-law had a nice specimen growing against a fence in full sun in her garden and I still remember how glorious it was when in full bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow to the Lady Banks rose. I've loved the beauty and growth of this rose since first finding about it. Thanks for sharing your beautiful specimen.

    Happy Spring ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful rose, for a beautiful garden. It's so fun when spring makes the garden come alive again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love the yellow one when it blooms in spring. So beautiful and cheerful! I would be more inclined to grow it myself if it bloomed longer, though, as it is such a large rose. The one at Tombstone is incredible! I'd love to go see it sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks fabulous, especially from your window. Once-a-year big display plants tell us what time of year it is. And it is home to a mockingbird! How, nice is that, having a rose for a home.

    Here I can see the neighbor's 'Belle Portugaise' that he planted some 50 years ago. It is in full bloom, too. The neighbor is gone to the great beyond, but the rose continues.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a glorious rose! Does it have a scent?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The carpet of bluebonnets sets off the yellow Lady Banks rose to perfection! Very few people grow it here (western foothills of the Virginia Blue Ridge, z6b/7) because it's only borderline hardy. But a few years ago I saw it used beautifully on a local Garden Week tour: The house and garden were Italianate, which was somewhat bizarre seen from the outside but wholly successful once inside. The LB rose was on the western wall of the walled garden, perfectly suited to protect it from our often intense prevailing West winds. Garden Week here is dogwood-lilac-columbine time, but the rose had opened enough blooms to be a spectacle. I came away with wall envy...

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.