My Blog List

Tuesday, April 23, 2019

WHO IS ON THE STAGE THIS WEEK

The most dominant flowers of the last 4 weeks have been the bluebonnets, columbines and Indian paintbrush. They are now busy setting seed for next year while a whole new range of plants take over, primarily the yellows. Our roadsides are quite stunning with their yellow composites mixed in with blanket flowers.

My garden is not so shabby either.

Square bud primrose, Calylophus barlandieri, nestled in among rocks and gravel.




Engelmann's daisy, Engelmannia peristenia. I remember when I bought this at the Wildflower Center sale some years ago someone said they would be everywhere, and they are.


But so far, only in the from Courtyard garden where I pull those that are in the wrong places. I am hoping to get them to move outside the walls at the front. The question is always, will I be around at seed collection time.



Four nerve daisy, Tetraneuris scaposa,



Damianita, Chrysactinia mexicana.


Threadleaf coreopsis, Coreopsis verticillata, swaying around on two foot high thin stems.


And California poppy, Eschscholzia californica, a vigorous self seeder.


These are all native to Texas but there are a few more yellows enjoying the stage. The native Coreopsis tinctoria is a few weeks away from flowering but other tall and short coreopsis are flowering.




And the silver leaf gazania, Gazania tomentosa, perfectly at home in a bed of gravel.


And in the English Garden the many petaled, fragrant  Rosa 'Molineux' named by David Austin for the football stadium of his favorite soccer team, Wolverhampton Wanderers.


And finally the large yellow named bearded iris which is a favorite because blooms after my other iris have finished blooming.


Will the yellow flowers please take a bow.

7 comments:

  1. Yellow lends such a cheerful aspect to the garden and your flowers look glorious against the backdrop of the gravel and the spiky agaves. It's funny how the garden shifts its palette over a period of time, isn't it? Yellows are currently prominent in my back garden, whites in the front garden, and pinks on my back slope. Some people might think that's intentional but I swear it's all Mother Nature's doing. I've also noted that different colored flowers within the same species often bloom in a staggered sequence. That's been true of the Freesias in my garden as well as the Lisianthus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always seems to me that there is a much wider variety of yellow flowers along the highways which makes for a simply stunning display. Especially this year. Meanwhile my English garden has very little color compared with the other areas. Perhaps because I have controlled the planting more. I bought a mixed bag of freesias this year and true the yellows lasted a good deal longer than the reds and blues.

      Delete
  2. Do you know what that short coreopsis is? I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it is Coreopsis auriculate Nana. It isn't such a big bloomer but nice to have something a little smaller. It reseeded quite well over winter.

      Delete
    2. Thank you. I'll be on the look out for it.

      Delete
  3. The first photo is my favourite. The Calylophus with the mangaves is quite striking. Yellow is one of my favourite colours in the garden as it is so bright and cheery especially on overcast days. Your garden looks quite lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the calylophus too but it never seems to set seed. I see it in profusion along the roadsides so I don't know hwy this doesn't happen in my garden.

      Delete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.