My Blog List

Tuesday, April 27, 2021

SPRING IN THE SUNKEN GARDEN

 The area between the house and the pool was a blank canvas and perfect to create a sunken garden. The inspiration was partly inspired by the many sunken gardens I have visited in England, my grandfather's garden where I spent my teenage years and the sunken courtyard at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center. Many of the rocks dug up during the building of the house were saved in order to create a foundation wall around the sunken area. The floor is Arizona sandstone over decomposed granite. I'm sure the builder was happy not to have to cart those rocks away. Nature has done much of the planting and I am happy for that although it does create considerable work keeping it under control. But, both David and I delight in all the blooms that appear-as if from nowhere. The scene changes from week to week and from year to year. Spring is the most floriferous time.

The only step down is along the front and even here it requires some agility as a Gulf Coast penstemon, Penstemon tennuis, has seeded right in the middle of the two stones. How could I possibly pull it when it was so happy there. I love this penstemon but it is prone to root aphids, placed there by ants who farm its honeydew. They are not easy to control and will kill the plant.

A few plants have been with me since the beginning and one is the chocolate daisy, Berlandiera lyrata

Compact in the early weeks it does eventually become rather rangy. It has only seeded in one other place and I suspect this is because I usually cut it back part way through the season and the new seed heads may not have time to mature. 

Mullein, may be considered a weed by many but I love its beautiful form over the winter before sending up a tall flower spike with yellow flowers. It is also a favorite of the bees. Many may seed but only a few will be chosen. This was a lucky one on the lower level.


In early spring bluebonnets can really take over and I'm afraid this year I have let rather too many and some of the plants growing beneath have suffered. A single bluebonnet plant can spread to cover 3' and is better suited to a meadow setting.
 

 

Hinckley's yellow columbine. Here there and everywhere as usual.


 It is always interesting to watch how plants grow and move. A large cluster of bee balm was gradually evicted by this yellow iris, so that now there are only a few plants left. Time for the iris to be divided and passed along nd maybe the bee balm will move back in.


 I always let the corn poppies grow wherever they wish. Easy to pull out and something will always take their place later.


One of my favorite views is standing in the sunken garden and looking up to the Sun and Moon Archway. A mix of columbine, larkspur and poppies.
 

The gopher plant, Euphorbia rigida, has flowered and gone to seed. Some of the longer leaves have been removed to leave a small cluster of seed heads for seed saving. Nigella hides the leaves of the faded daffodils above the  mealy blue sage and larkspur.
 

Late April and the wine cups begin to bloom and spread, and spread and spread! Frequent trims will keep them in order. 

There will be a few plants missing this year and they will be missed. Two beautiful Pride of Barbados were lost to the freeze. The seed had appeared from nowhere and we had several years of their summer blooms. There is however, a very small one growing between two of the ledgestones and possibly in a more favorable place. 

 

It's time to get out there and remove some of the more boisterous residents in the sunken garden.

7 comments:

  1. Lovely. Jewel-like colours and such exuberance from your self-seeders! I feel so lucky to have seen your garden, Jennifer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This kind of garden making, dynamic and letting the plants lead the way, is one of my favorites too. I just brought in a couple chocolate daisies again too -- so far they haven't self-sown for me yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy to see how your garden is looking after the big freeze. It looks fabulous! I'm still carting away dead leaves and stumps. Replanting some things, waiting to see if a few might still leaf out.... Your bluebonnets! Hardly any of mine bloomed this year :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always loved your sunken garden. I'm glad to see that it's glowing as usual despite the nasty winter weather you had. I wish I could grow bluebonnets - or really anything in that genus. Even though I've sown seeds and planted plugs, they seldom last long if they grow at all. My sandy soil may be an issue, although wild lupines grow along the roadways here on the peninsula, or at least they usually do - I haven't seen a single one this year, which I attribute to our very low rainfall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just gorgeous Jenny! That mullein is perfect, what beautiful leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a riot of color. Simply beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.