My Blog List

Saturday, April 3, 2021

WHAT DENOTES A COLLECTION?

On UK garden programs they sometimes visit gardens/nurseries who hold the National Collection of a specific plant. In the UK there are over 650 collections and you can see the list at National Collections and where to see a specific family. Plant Heritage aims at conservation of plant and diversity rather like the aim of our own Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center. 

Out of curiosity I looked up Clematis where I found myself heading down the inevitable rainy-day rabbit hole. Collections are by group and there among them was our very own  Clematis texensis with  2 species, 15 cultivars and 17 taxa. 

                                                    Clematis texensis Princess Diana

 Our native clematis is almost impossible to find at the nursery and even at the Wildflower Center's Native plant sale coming up soon. I did manage to buy one there some years ago and was at first disappointed in the color but have come to love and treasure it over the years.  I have identified it, rightly or wrongly, as Clematis versicolor , known as the pale leather flower. I think I had expected it to be C. pitcheri, purple leatherflower.

                                             Clematis pitcheri, Pale leatherflower?
 

Now, having found this breeder of clematis in England I plan to send them a photo and ask them what they think about the identity of this clematis. They have one labeled C. pitcheri crispa 26 which they raised from seed. It took 4 years to flower.

Maybe if I am lucky I will be able to add to my one Texensis group, Princess Diana. Among which are Happy Diana, Etoile Rose, Duchess of Albany, Gravetye beauty, Pagoda, Sir Trevor Lawrence, Maxima, Peveril Profusion, Ruby Wedding and Radiance. What I love about these clematis is that they die down to the ground over winter so there is no pruning necessary. But they do require some kind of wire or mesh support in order to support their rapid growth in spring. I think this is why you so often see them planted to entwine around roses.

Both my clematis produce delightful seed heads and this year I have a few seedlings of the C. versicolor. Getting them out of the ground is not easy as they send down very long roots but I have been successful in saving a few rather spindly plants which I hope will grow stronger over the years and eventually flower. Lovely in all its seasons I am now on the hunt.


3 comments:

  1. Your pale-colored Clematis is lovely but then so is that vibrant 'Princess Diana'. I hope you're successful in finding more in the texensis species. Out of curiosity, I did a quick search online and discovered that there's at least one Clematis native to California, C. lasiantha. I can't say I've seen it in local garden centers either but my favorite mail order nursery does carry it and, as it's not currently available, I've added it to my wish list, even through it bears a strong resemblance to the sweet autumn Clematis I already have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if you would please share the name of the mail order company you mention above as I would like to order one also. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure which mail order place you are referring to. Both the places I named have links in the blog. The first is one in England and the second is here in Austin but they do not sell plants except at their garden sales which are going on right now. It is unlikely you would find one there as they are in big demand and go very quickly when they have them. There are other places that sell clematis in the USA and you can search for them on line.

      Delete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.