My Blog List

Tuesday, April 6, 2021

THE 4 O'CLOCK BLUES

Just as many flowers are fading in the afternoon sun these two little native beauties are just beginning to open. The first is Blue gilia, Gilia rigidula, a member of the phlox family.

I rescued this plant many years ago from the lot next door to us and so glad I did. This delicate plant has spread modestly but seems happy in the place where it is planted. Above the retaining wall in the dry, rocky, shaded, filtered light with no irrigation needed. It is the perfect location because the wall is about 4 feet high so the plant can be enjoyed without stooping. 

I have never seen the plant for sale in the nurseries.

The second afternoon bloomer is the Blue-eyed grass. Sisyrinchium angustifolium. Mine occurred naturally although I have seen hybridized varieties in the nurseries. 


 It loves a sunny location and spreads very easily from seed forming good-sized clumps. It is perfect in a rock garden setting enjoying the spaces between the pavers.

And who could pass up the chance to share more photos of the bluebonnets, Lupinus texensis, that grow both inside and outside my walled garden. Faithful as ever in their appearance every spring and filling the warm afternoon air with a sweet fragrance.


 



These are the kind of blues a gardener loves.

4 comments:

  1. Yes indeed, what is not to love about these beauties. The spread of lupines is truly impressive and quite gorgeous. I bet they are humming with bees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These blues make me happy, Jenny. I'd love to have all 3 in my garden. I actually do have one variety of blue-eyed grass - it's been good about returning but unfortunately it's never spread itself around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely! I do love that blue gilia and the bluebonnets, of course, but my favorite is the blue-eyed grass. I have loved it since I was a little girl, playing in the dirt in our Houston backyard. I've tried to grow the nursery hybrids here but they don't return.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, gorgeous. Yes, those shades of blue are truly magical. The bluebonnets are special, of course, but the others are awesome, too. I'm a huge fan of all the species of blue-eyed grass, some of which are native here, too. Great post!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments unless they are spam comments which will always be removed in comment moderation.